Here I am, as a toddler on the left, and as a 32 year old just trying to figure out what’s next on the right.
Yelp. Just like that, another birthday is here. What a year 31 has been. Saw some successes at work, saw friends get married (saw friends postpone weddings because of Covid), babies be born, the blog grew. So much to be thankful for, yet it seems that comparison is the thief of joy when we think about timelines. Alex, of Sassy Confetti, and I talk about this quite a bit. That we didn’t think we’d be here at this stage. Single. Childless. Living in an apartment. We put so many pressures on ourselves as women, and we always seem to want what others have, right? I have REALLY worked at letting that go this last year. To be appreciative of the present, to enjoy my independence, but damn, sometimes that reality (loneliness, comparison of timelines, etc.) can knock you on your ass. Maybe you can relate, maybe you can’t, but we need to be better to ourselves, to each other. Give yourself some grace, give your friend some empathy and a pat on the back, and let’s keep doing life! We’re on nobody’s timeline, but our own, and that looks different than everybody else’s and repeat after me THAT. IS. OKAY.
So here’s my pledge to myself. I’m going to keep working on me. I want to keep growing this space, keep bringing y’all humor, honest reflections, and damn good outfits. I want to continue to work on making financial gains and making an impact at work. I want to do good around my community and show gratitude.
So here’s to ALL OF THAT JAZZ.
Below are some facts about me. Maybe some are new to you, maybe you know me cover to cover, like your favorite book. Either way, maybe we have some things in common!
- Favorite flower? I love stargazer lilies and peonies
- Last summer I was a bridesmaid for the 12th & 13th time
- I am a night owl
- Growing up I worked at a bagel shop, I was a restaurant hostess (a few times), I served as an uncertified vet tech, and I also worked at Anthropologie and Free People
- I never ate Mac n Cheese until my junior year of college. My friends couldn’t believe it. I ate shells and cheese at a friend’s house in Nashville and was sold.
- I went through a major EMO phase in high school. I had a livejournal, wore eyeliner ALL over my eyes, and knew every single word of every single Avril Lavigne song
- My middle name is Mae, which is after my great great grandmother Mariah – who everyone called Mae. She came over from Ireland and raised her kids alone after her husband Big Mike was crushed in a boating accident. From what I hear, she was a strong woman.
- I HATE condiments – ketchup, mustard, mayo, ranch – NO WAY!
- Favorite tv show of all time? Law & Order
- I’m the youngest of three kids – my sister and brother are almost 9 and 8 years older than me, I’m the true baby of the family
- I visited 6 countries before I turned 18. Favorites? London, Barcelona, Capri
- I’ve had the same best friend since sixth grade
- My favorite snack? Goldfish
- Need a good soundtrack? Almost Famous, The Big Chill, and Now and Then
- I have puppy fever (my rescue dog Gus died last summer), but I travel so much, it wouldn’t be fair to own one.
- It would be hard to pick a favorite color at this point in my life, but I love blush or really any pink
- Ole Miss is my alma mater. I love the town of Oxford so much and my parents are considering retiring there!
- I have VERY BLONDE eyebrows. It honestly used to make my self-conscious, but I’m over that
- I get my caffeine kick from Coca-Cola. I have one a day
- I moved to Houston almost three years ago (July 14th will make three years)
- Favorite food? Short ribs and pasta
- I love the beach, but honestly hate sand
- I think my first big girl purchase was my Gucci bag with the pearl detailing. Y’all see me carry that pretty thing everywhere and she’s my go-to bag when I go anywhere dressed up.
- I studied English and Education at Ole Miss and then stayed two extra years to get a Master’s in Counseling.
- I was born in Chicago, grew up in Texas, and went to school in Mississippi – I have a weird accent
- I do a pretty good Nancy Grace impression
- It’s not uncommon to see my Instagram feed full of pretty dresses, but I also love wearing off the shoulder tops
- I left public education and now work in recruiting for a consulting firm
- I always tend to overpack and prefer to check my luggage, although I hate waiting at the carousel after a flight
- I don’t drink coffee. Never have, never will.
- I can only wear block heels or wedges after twisting my ankle years ago. I don’t love wearing flats when getting dressed up.
- I am so happy I started my blog three years ago and have met so many amazing people – including YOU, if you’re reading this. Thanks for making it this far 😉
Have a great weekend, y’all!